About Randolph Union High school
RUHS incorporated the towns of Randolph, Braintree, and Brookfield into one union high school in 1954. A junior high wing was added in 1967. The Randolph Technical Career Center is also attached to RUHS.Currently, the school serves a population of 522 students in grades 7-12. There are 55 teachers, 2 co-principal, three guidance counselors, and 41 support staff.The school is located on Forest Street in the village of Randolph. RUHS received continuing accreditation by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC) in the spring of 1997.
History of RUHS
Randolph Union High School traces its roots back to the West Randolph Academy which was established in 1847.
In 1876 the trustees of the academy transferred buildings and property to the Union Village School District No. 15 in randolph and Randolph High School was created the following year as ‘a good English High School” with classes meeting not less then twenty-four weeks in the year. Andrew W. Edson was named as the school’s first principal.
The school’s first graduating class held commencement exercises in 1882 with a class of eight members.
By 1911, the school had outgrown its old buildings and the cornerstone was laid for a new High School and Graded School building at the corner of Main Street and School Street (currently the site of the Dubois and King). The new school opened in the fall of 1912 with the senior high on the second floor. At the time the building was completed, the high school enrollment was about eighty.
In 1940, Randolph High School received recognition as a standard school. By the end of the decade, continued population growth prompted the consideration of a new school site and the land was purchased fronting Forest Street, north of Central Street, in early 1951.
On April 20, 1954, Union High School District No. 2 was created. Comprised of the towns of Braintree and Randolph, it was the first district in Vermont formed by two separate towns.
By July of the same year, the new union high school board approved construction of a $460,000 building, and ground was broken to begin construction on March 28, 1955.
The Randolph High School Class of 1956 was able to hold its graduating ceremonies in the gymnasium of the new building and on September 4, 1956, the new Braintree- Randolph Union High School opened with an enrollment of 236 pupils, grades 9- 12.
The school was officially dedicated on November 11, 1956. William J. Gaidys was principal and John N. Murray was Superintendent of Schools of the supervisory Union.
In November of 1962 the union high school board voted to extend secondary education to grades seven and eight and by December of 1965, faced with crowded conditions, the board voted to build the junior high school wing.
In March of 1966, Brookfield voted to join the Union High School District on a grade 7- 12 basis and plans continued toward construction of the new wing at an estimated cost of $1,606,000.
In September of 1968 school opened with the new addition in use to accommodate a total student population of 555, grades 7-12.
In February of 1969, the Vermont State Board of Education granted full approval to the entire junior-senior high school.
The new addition was formally dedicated on May 18, 1969 and the school was renamed Randolph Union High School. Rupert W. Brown was principal and John N. Murray was still superintendent. The school is an accredited member the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.