Meet RUHS Principal Dave Barnett
David Barnett is principal of the Randolph Union High School and was named "Secondary Principal of the Year" by the Vermont Principal’s Association in 2012.
A former English teacher from Ocean City, Maryland, Dave came to Randolph in 2007 to serve as assistant principal alongside John Holmes. He became co-principal in 2010, and principal in 2011. Prior to starting at RUHS he worked for a couple of years at the Vermont Department of Education.
Barnett points to numerous changes that have occurred at RUHS since he arrived, including:
- Transforming the school from hardwired to wireless Internet;
- Opening grade reporting to an electronic format that’s available to students and parents;
- Immersion of faculty in the practice of "differentiated instruction" to increase opportunities for learners;
- A new "Freshman Academy" the first weeks of school to teach new "high-schoolers" the skills they’ll need to succeed;
- A new approach to athletic eligibility which has dramatically increased participation while increasing the emphasis on academics;
- Expansion of extracurricular and co-curricular opportunities, with the addition of several new school clubs, including rock climbing and arts and crafts just this year; and
- Bringing in many new young teachers who are excellent at connecting with kids and have delved into the school community.
Assisted by co-principal Elijah Hawkes, Barnett looks forward to continuing to lead the high school in the years ahead.